Teaching Elder Position Opening
- Emmanuel Bible Church is an independent Baptist Church, solidly reformed, holding to the doctrines of grace.
- Scripture teaches that the Church is to be governed by a plurality of Elders, under-shepherds of Jesus Christ.
- All Elders are called to teach, but one has been set apart with a special gifting to preach and to teach, as a full-time Teaching Elder.
- All Elders are gifted with a Shepherd’s pastoral heart and are actively involved in the pastoring of the flock.
The Role/Responsibilities of the Teaching Elder:
- Primary preacher/teacher in the worship services of EBC. The TE in consultation with the Eldership will ensure the doctrinal consistency in the pulpit, the teaching of the whole counsel of God and the exhorting of the body to act upon Scriptural teaching in their daily lives.
- Provide expository sermons from the Scripture, approximately 45 minutes in length, with an occasional topical sermon.
- Oversee the various adult teaching ministries doctrinally and strategically within the Church, to include teaching the Adult Sunday School on a rotating basis with other teachers.
- Participate in the rotation of morning worship prayer and Sunday evening Lord’s Supper meditations.
- Assume other teaching responsibilities outside of worship services that may arise from time to time.
- Train current and potential Elders in theology and principles of Church leadership.
- Together with the Elders, cast a VISION for the Church and ensure that ministries in EBC are aligned with that vision.
- Along with Leaders in the Church, the TE will work to equip the congregation both to ministry and to live out their lives in faith.
- The TE must recognize the importance of committing himself to significant time PERSONAL SPIRITUAL GROWTH in independent Bible study and prayer.
- TE will promote a culture of Shepherding Group Care rather than the pastor/TE only care.
- TE will officiate at weddings, funerals, child dedications and baptisms. On occasions, other Elders may officiate upon request.
- TE will report directly to Eldership who will give the TE a performance review annually.
- TE will attend all Elders’ meetings, committee meetings as appropriate, congregational meetings and other gatherings of the church.
- TE will participate in an orientation with the other elders as soon as feasible.
- Character, skills and experience are required
Character Traits that match the biblical qualifications found in 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1, 1 Peter 5:1-4:
- He must be a man above reproach.
- Must have a burden for the lost and a sincere love for the Church.
- Must have a comprehensive understanding of the Scripture and be able to communicate his exegesis effectively.
- Must be ordained or be willing to go through the ordination process.
- Must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
- Three (3) years of experience in preaching, teaching and pastoral care preferred.
- Must have good interpersonal and leadership skills, and be a humble, servant-leader.
- Must possess strong counselling skills.
- Preferred: a family man with a wife that shares the same vision and passion for the Church of Jesus Christ.